Christians have worshipped here since 1794. The present church is the third church to be built on this site.The land was feued for the building of a relief church, manse and burial place for members who had seceded from the established church in Cardross Parish.
The current church was built in 1888, a gothic style Victorian church . The architect involved was John McLeod. It was previously called Bridgend Church.
Dalreoch Parish Church was situated nearby. It was built in 1873. In the 1980s, Dalreoch and West Bridgend congregations were united. The Dalreoch church building was demolished and the new united congregation was renamed West Kirk; meeting in the previous West Bridgend buildings. Fortunately, some stained glass windows from Dalreoch have been moved to West Kirk, so can still be enjoyed in the sanctuary.
In 1999 West Kirk was extensively restored. At that time, some attractive stencil work was uncovered above the chancel which had been previously hidden. There are 16 stained glass windows, some created by significant artists.
On entering the sanctuary, the beautiful woodwork and windows in this bright, colourful and spacious church are a joy to see.
The organ was built and installed in 1888 by Connacher of Yorkshire. It is regarded as one of the finest pipe organs in the Clyde Valley.
The Session House is within the church building, situated behind the sanctuary.
Beside the church stands the previous 1860 church building which now provides a hall plus smaller meeting rooms and a large modern well fitted kitchen. This building was extensively renovated in 1993 to upgrade the accommodation.There is a car park behind the hall in what was previously the graveyard.
There are toilet facilities in both the church and the halls. There are ramps which provide disabled access to both buildings. A new ramp has recently been installed to further improve hall access. The access ramp for the church is at the rear side entrance. There is ample space for prams or wheelchairs in the sanctuary.
Allstars - All school aged children welcome. Games, activities and afternoon tea!
Sunday 2-4pm on dates announced.
Big Weans All so- called adults welcome
Sundays 2-4pm as announced.
Bookbug Sessions and Buggy Walking Group- Contact :-
Marie Clare Dungavell: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday Coffee Group
10am-12 noon in the hall. Ring the doorbell for admission.